March 8, 1999
Dear Governor Taft:
Thank you for your response letter dated March 1. It is regarding the proposed legislation to allow Ohioans the right to carry concealed weapons.
I am concerned that you do not appreciate the positive effects that this type of legislation has had in other states: Crime has dropped. Why? Because criminals take the path of least resistance. They minimize the danger they face just like the rest of us. Simply put Mr. Taft: Gun control only applies to honest citizens.
- Currently, only criminals carry concealed weapons.
- Do you think that they are concerned about gun control laws while engaging in rapes, robberies, and murders?
- Can the police protect all of us all of the time?
- Why can’t my wife have the ability to effectively protect herself while out jogging?
Furthermore Mr. Taft, I voted for you primarily for three reasons:
- You and your Lt. Governor support the Right to Life
- Your campaign people assured me that you support the right to carry concealed weapons
- Smaller government and lower taxes
One of your opponents, Mr. Mitchel, was also strong on these issues. Had I thought that you were going to waffle on any of these issues, I would have voted for Mr. Mitchel. Please don’t make me wish that I had.
Finally Mr. Taft, if you veto (or torpedo) this legislation, I will work to ensure your defeat in all subsequent elections. Please help me to continue to be one of your supporters.
John E. Becker